Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baby on Board

Hi Drivers!

As any of our newsletter readers and friends will know, we have a baby on board. What does this mean for you? You can expect some baby and your car focused articles. :)

As a childless couple, who did plan to have children, we made the decision to get a two-door Rabbit Hatchback in 2009. We figured there would be lots of room to get baby in and out. (You can stop laughing seasoned moms) There certainly is the room - but now we will be put to the test. But here's my question, Rabbit hatchback or no, for those of us that don't want a mini-van and have no need or lifestyle for an SUV - what's a practicle but still fun car for the new family. Clearly the answer will change as the family expands - but so many people feel the need to jump into mini-van land the minute they find out their pregnant - is this necessary?

I did a bit of poking around this morning and found the following forum on Red Flag Deals.  It starts with - will our rear-facing baby seat fit in the back of a Mazda 3 Sport Hatch.  The answer is yes, but the conversation is interesting.  A key point raised by a few responders is take your seat with you and try it out.  This is a good point for any piece of equipment you plan to carry regularly and you think might risk not fitting.  Also, just because one parent may sit more often on the passenger side doesn't mean they always will, try out the car with both parents sitting in front of the babyseat.  If the taller parent isn't quite as comfortable sitting in front of the babyseat you will need to consider how often that will happen, how important that is, and whether it's going to be a consistent problem across makes and models (sorry but if you're 6' and over - it's likely going to be a problem regardless of what car you get)

I'm guessing there are many more factors than 'will the seat fit' - I'm hoping to enlist the opinion of the Mommy Consultant, but what's your opinion?  Did you feel the need to jump into a large family vehicle right away - or did you hatchback it and survive? 

Until next time, happy driving!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a parent with no plans to be, BUT I was a kid with two parents that had cars...

    When I was a baby the household cars were a Mazda RX7 & an Oldsmobile Cultas. Not quite the SUV of today, eh? ;)
    I can't remember the order that it happened in, but my dad eventually sold his RX7 and got a Volvo (followed by another Volvo years later) and my mom got a Volkswagen Cabrio. It was around the same time and I would have been 6 or 7 years old (but I'm starting to think I might have actually been older than that).

    I'm an only child so these cars worked just fine for our family. I actually laugh when I see these monsterous SUV's with their tv monitors, etc.

    I drive a Golf now and daily throw 6 BIG dogs in the back of my car with no problems. One little baby should be ok. And really, aren't our little VW's just the BEST!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree D - I LOVE my rabbit. My parents drove a Volvo station wagon with three of us - and we went camping and on all kinds of road trips in it for years - perhaps that's what makes me so optimistic re my rabbit and baby. :)

    ReplyDelete