Thursday, November 25, 2010

Winter's here - are you going to slip?


Hi Driver's

Sorry for the long break in posting - there's been lots going on and I can't wait to tell you.  But first let's talk a little anti-slip!

There are lots of accronyms for traction control, my Rabbit has ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation); but what is traction control, how does it work?

Traction control is typically an electronic system that uses sensors to to detect if your wheels are spinning and then automatically reduce the engine power. 

Most new cars come with ASR or a TCS (Traction Control System) and it can often be turned on or off with a button.  The standard setting is on.  In newer vehicles there will be no indication that it is on.  Upon turning it off a light will come on; in my Rabbit a little car with slipping lines appears on my dashboard.  This light also flashes on when the ASR is actively engaged. 

I have read some articles that suggest you will get better mileage by turning your ASR off.  However, given the current weather conditions I would not recommend this type of savings.

Happy Driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment